Thursday, February 10, 2005

And all was light!

I have been away for so long, and there is so much that I have wanted to write since.

The summary of it all should be that my life has become an interesting and sometimes joyous and sometimes frightful mangle of faith and disbelief. Which is amazing since I have learnt that all I need to do is to look within my own self when I look for faith.

While experiencing a certain dark period of my life recently, I thought: what keeps people going, even through the hardest of times?

It's an intriguing question, and I tackle it like one of those economics test questions: what influenced the sales volume? You keep all factors constant but the one under examination.

So I took a battery of answers to the question what keeps people going, even through the hardest of times? What makes isolated prisoners incarcerated in dark dungeons aspire for freedom? What makes people fleeing from war zones travel towards unknown peace? What makes us sleep thoughtless of whether we wake up tomorrow?

What can make me get through?

A promise? But sometimes we do without. An inspiration? But sometimes we do without. A supporting figure? But sometimes we do without. A sound or a sight or a ray of light filtering in through the darkness of times? Oh, but sometimes we do without.

What do we do with?
Faith.

Where does faith come from?
Within.

Imagine any extraordinary hero. And the amount of faith they put in the unknown. We read about heroes in history, which causes a certain false perception that they knew exactly what they were doing and where they were going. It's hard to step back in time with them, step in to a time before they achieved what made them a hero, and look at their future through their eyes.

What did they see?

A void of a future, filled with their dreams. Dreams inspired by faith that often came from nowhere outside, but from within.

No comments:

Post a Comment