Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Signs of Life

Prophecy!

It's astounding! Two days ago, I desperately wished to die. Immediately. Yesterday, I was alive & working. Today, I was bouncing. And right now, I want to cry!

You realize what this means? Yes, you, see with your eyes eternally set to see the good in everything!

Ah, yes, exactly!

It means that I am ALIVE! Absolutely child-likely! How long since I felt change so rapidly! Must be late teens? Slipping in to the whole adulthood/ academic-corporate lifestyle had sucked my ability to feel and to be quirky. I am back to being the child whose most dreadful nightmare was washed away the moment a chocolate was produced from a pocket.

You know when I was a little kid, I had a little ritual. I did not, as other children trained by their moms were, into family matter machinations. And we lived in one big "joint family." I did not respond to hurt or praise. I had no concern with other people's business or prattle. I was very secure in the knowledge that I was created to outgrow all this. And I learned what I was taught - which was graceful and fun and aplenty - quietly and diligently.

But I kept a record of general unfairness. I did not like how sometimes some people stepped over their lines, with me or whoever or simply in their behavior. So here was my way to deal with what I did not like: quietly walking into the open courtyard whenever I had had enough of world-watching, every week or so, AND LETTING OUT A MOTHER OF A SCREAM! AAAAAAAAAAAAA! Coming from an otherwise poised child buried behind her books, this was a shock for my uncles who were demanded an explanation by my grandmother promptly. They presented their clarifications while glaring while pretending, "No! Who, me? No no I didn't stare down at her!" while clarifying. Oh well! Those were the days!

My youngest and smartest-with-kids uncle came up with an idea. He decided to buy my soul. We formed an agreement whereby every Tuesday, I'd get a bar of this new chocolate with flavored gel in it if I please did not keep up my ritual. I think we agreed on some form of a more organized screaming, followed by a debrief by my uncle. He usually waited around my venting circus with some object that he could scientifically explain to me. Science distracted me, as chocolate bought my political soul.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment