Sunday, November 14, 2004

I prepared for Eid

I spent the Chaand Raat prepping stuff to eat for the big day. Surprisingly, it all turned out tasty. I am a good cook, but not a good preparer of items that don't require extensive cooking. As in, putting it on the stove and keep stirring and disturbing until mom interferes to inquire after the well-being of the food, and I run to my room. I just LOVE stirring food up and watching it transform. Like a wicked little good witch with a crucible...

I wanted to put on henna. Dark, with intriguing designs - deep, rich, seductive henna. Last Eid, I had bought chooris, bangles. They are lovely, I still have them by my bed side, glittering in glory. This chaand raat, I did not want to think about them. Last year, I got a lovely arabesque pattern henna. Thanks to an advert for our channel that I worked in. Me and Tania got a makeover, and that lovely henna. My hands are beautiful, and the henna glowed on screen... That was a few days before Eid. I wanted so much to put henna on the chaand raat, though. But it was not to be. I was occupied with being afraid, and I thought: next year. Next year I certainly will do as I please.

This is a different year. This year, I know, there is never a next year. Only now and here... I got an angelic white dress, and asked my brother to get me mehndi.

No comments:

Post a Comment