Sunday, November 21, 2004

Of the heart, by the heart - 2: the Garden of Forking Paths

It is strange, but the truth always tells you who you are.

A Child's Story Book: When I was a kid, reading the Qur'an was a bit like reading any other story book. There were tales of Egyptian kings, Prophets, Queens, azaabs [divine punishments], talking trees and conversing ants. I had a copy of Arabian Nights, and frankly, I saw little difference between the two but that the Qur'an was somehow more venerated. It came from "A-L-L-A-H" and his special agent "M-O-H-A-M-M-A-D." Both were very respectable. Once when I asked uncle Q about who was the "bigger guy," he told me there was no comparison. Hence the question could not be answered - because it could not be asked.

A respectable story tale. A fable with a thousand wonders!

A Young Woman's Book of Life: This Ramadan, I think I read a different Qur'an. This one was about my life. And honestly, it was pretty scary. I could not bring myself to read beyond the second (of the 30) book.

You must know about the magical Mirror ERISED [DESIRE, mirrored] in the Harry Potter tales: it always showed you what you wished to see? I feel the Qur'an must the mirror of SATIREV/ VERITAS [truth], it always shows you who you are.

I have seen a lot of wrong lately. Some time back, I discovered the Garden of Forking Paths. In a literary reference, it is the garden of destiny. It "forks" or branches at every point of decision. It's also a labyrinth. Fools are advised not to play here. I did.

In my own life's garden of forking paths, I decided to take a few wrong turns. Wrong exits. Climbing the walls of the labyrinth. Defying the order of destiny. Trying to cheat the way out of the labyrinth.


Except that you can't cheat a labyrinth.

No comments:

Post a Comment